San Rafael High School - Student Commons Building
San Rafael City Schools
HY Architects has been working with the San Rafael City Schools for numerous years. Our work commenced with the development of a district-wide master plan. The master plan included extensive stakeholder meetings and addressed parity amongst all school sites as well as modernizations and additions in order to support a 21st Century Learning environment.
At San Rafael High we are designing a new Student Commons Building that includes:
• student/public meeting space
• a central outdoor quad
• resource specialists’ offices including tutoring and counseling spaces
• health suites
• general classrooms
• new administrative offices / conference rooms / reception space
• centralized kitchen facility to prepare/distribute meals for the entire District
• a new continuation high school for the district – Madrone High
The Student Commons project is a recent winner of the 2019 Excellence in Design Award, California’s Coalition for Adequate School Housing (CASH).